1. It is recommended to attend your ophthalmologist every couple of years for an accurate eye examination to check. Please be sure to realize following tests:
- Eye Test
In case of chronic diseases such as diabetes, degenerative diseases such as age related macular degeneration (AMD), in case of hypertension it is necessary instead to make an eye examination once every six months or a year depending on the severity of the clinical picture.
2. Do not ever overlooking signs involving the view that may seem unusual, such as flashes of light, blurred vision, distortion of the picture. It is right in these cases go to the eye doctor to thoroughly evaluate these signals.
3. It is important to use sunglasses, especially on the beach or in the mountains, to protect against blue light and UVA and UVB. Always buy them in optical stores, the filters must be of high quality, the risk of making their use unnecessary or even harmful.
4. In case of bloodshot eyes consult an ophthalmologist, in the meantime you can use artificial tears, never drugs. Avoid DIY !!!
5. In case of bacterial or viral conjunctivitis, implement the most strict hygiene rules, in particular clean the eyes with specific single-use detergents, also use personal towels for hands, avoid exchanges of pillows. Bacterial conjunctivitis and viral infections, are particularly infectious.
6. Implement a balanced diet is also essential for the view, vitamins and minerals are important for the metabolism of the eye and are useful to help prevent diseases such as, the related macular degeneration (AMD). A low sugar content is useful for reducing the risk of retinopathy in diabetics. For alterations of the vitreous body, which determine the so-called floaters, you also need to replenish fluids, so drink is important, particularly for the elderly.
7. Stopping smoking is a fundamental rule for healthy vision. Cigarette smoking is a major cause of retinal damage.
8. In case of contact with irritants or burning, just simply rinse the eyes with running water, then attend to the nearest emergency.
9. Avoid wearing contact lenses for more than 8 hours a day. In the case of red eye or secretion must avoid using them because you could face complications also series such as keratitis.
10. In children, always meet the deadlines of eye exams given by the pediatrician, also with the eyes, the main rule remains: early prevention.